I also finished the Rubix Cube… I used a tutorial so I’ll never be able to do it again… still, another thing off the list!
I’m continuing my quest to document some of my web design work – next up is Patricia Rueda Photography! It’s always easy working with a photographer as they’ve already got the content to put on the website – my job was to make the site bi-lingual, easy to navigate and easy to add content to. For the content my sister-in-law Patricia can add her amazing photos directly to Flickr and then I can easily add new pages around the Flickr slideshows. The site is written in PHP to allow easy re-use of design, headers, menus and footers – it’s not quite a CMS but the site has grown considerably from the first design and it’s not been too hard to work with. Hopefully it shows off the photos well.
I’ve never been a massive Iggy fan but I have to say that this album surprised me – I’d never listened to it before and the sound is really raw, powerful and surprisingly well written. Mixed by Bowie, released in 1973 and now seen as a fore-runner to the punk movement it’s easy to see why Kurt Cobain saw this as a favourite. Overall it’s well worth a listen.
Earlier in the year I designed and built a website for my father-in-law for his art website. The project evolved slightly but I think that I achieved the brief for a simple design to highlight the black and white artwork. The site uses PayPal buttons and has an integrated shopping cart – it wasn’t the easiest thing to set up but it was much more personalised than alternatives like Etsy. Let me know what you think!
This is new to me so forgive me if you’ve already seen it but the image above is from Kurt Cobain’s Journal and lists his favourite 50 albums. It’s quite a list so over the next few months I’m going to listen to each album and pick a favourite track. Here’s the list in full courtesy of BuzzFeed (image from youremyvitamins).
- Iggy and the Stooges, “Raw Power”
- Pixies, “Surfer Rosa”
- The Breeders, “Pod”
- The Vaselines, “Pink EP”
- The Shaggs, “Philosophy of the World”
- Fang, “Landshark”
- MDC, “Millions of Dead Cops”
- Scratch Acid, “Scratch Acid EP”
- Saccharine Trust, “Paganicons”
- Butthole Surfers, “Pee Pee the Sailor” aka “Brown Reason to Live”
- Black Flag, “My War”
- Bad Brains, “Rock for Light”
- Gang of Four, “Entertainment!”
- Sex Pistols, “Never Mind the Bollocks”
- The Frogs, “It’s Only Right and Natural”
- PJ Harvey, “Dry”
- Sonic Youth, “Daydream Nation”
- The Knack, “Get the Knack”
- The Saints, “Know Your Product”
- Kleenex *also known as LiliPut* – any
- The Raincoats, “The Raincoats”
- Young Marble Giants, “Colossal Youth”
- Aerosmith, “Rocks”
- Various Artists, “What Is It”
- R.E.M., “Green”
- Shonen Knife, “Burning Farm”
- The Slits, “Typical Girls”
- The Clash, “Combat Rock”
- The Faith/Void, “Split EP”
- Rites of Spring, “Rites of Spring”
- Beat Happening, “Jamboree”
- Tales of Terror, “Tales of Terror”
- Leadbelly, “Leadbelly’s Last Sessions Vol. 1
- Mudhoney, “Superfuzz Bigmuff”
- Daniel Johnston, “Yip/Jump Music”
- Flipper, “Generic Flipper”
- The Beatles, “Meet the Beatles”
- Half Japanese, “We Are They Who Ache With Amorous Love”
- Butthole Surfers, “Locust Abortion Technician”
- Black Flag, “Damaged”
- Fear, “The Record”
- PiL, “Flowers of Romance”
- Public Enemy, “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back”
- Marine Girls, “Beach Party”
- David Bowie, “The Man Who Sold the World”
- Wipers, “Is This Real?”
- Wipers, “Youth of America”
- Wipers, “Over the Edge”
- Mazzy Star, “She Hangs Brightly”
- Swans, “Young God”
I watched Daniel Radcliffe perform The Elements by Tom Lehrer on the Graham Norton show so I knew he could sing a little but I hadn’t realised that he’d helped perform for a charity Christmas single nor just how good he is at singing and dancing – check out his performance of Brotherhood Of Man below:
A few months ago I made a website for my wife’s new company – a maternity and nursing dress hire company based in Edinburgh. The graphics were created by Graham Anderson and I coded up the site by hand. Let me know what you think!
I’ve heard Eddie Murphy singing before but I didn’t realise he’d had an album!
According to nationalshortstoryweek.org.uk National Short Story Week runs from the 12th to the 18th of November. So here are five short stories for you to read on your chosen ebook reader… together the collection is called “The Freaks”. Please leave a comment below if you enjoyed reading them!
Ruth tested me this morning – I now know 30 greetings in 30 languages. Job done!