Here's a user manual of me - based on the many versions that are out there but especially the one shared by Cassie Robinson. I've got no expectations from this, I just thought that it was a nice exercise to do.
Conditions I like to work in:
- I like a quiet environment and prefer interruptions to come in a batch. Open plan offices make concentration hard!
- I've pretty much always got headphones to tune out the background noise.
- I like having my own desk space, mostly so that I can connect laptops to bigger screens.
- Fresh air is always appreciated.
- Perfume, flowers (especially lilies) and other strong smells make for migraines!
- Desks with enough leg room underneath are essential (this extends to travel and accommodation - I'm tall so prefer a bed without a footboard, the airplane seat by the emergency door and bus/train/theatre seats that were designed with tall person knees in mind!).
The times/Hours I like to work:
- Family is really important to me so to fit in childcare I'm mostly a 9-5 in the office kind of guy but I'll take something home if needed. Pandemic times haven't changed my working hours all that much, starting a little earlier and finishing later if I'm honest!
- I'm generally a morning person.
- I write best when the house is silent and everyone else is asleep - midnight to 2am, or 5am to 7am are great but I don't do this especially often.
- I don’t mind being contacted about work at any time but I will likely only respond to non-emergencies during weekday daytimes.
- My work calendar is open so anyone can see my availability - I don’t mind people booking things in my diary if I am free (please leave gaps for travel!)
- I don't mind meeting over lunch or on a walk.
The best ways to communicate with me:
- WhatsApp or Slack are good, in person is better.
- I rarely hear my phone ring but check it frequently.
- I keep on top of my emails and usually respond on the day or within a few days at the latest.
- I'm totally cool with finding out about work tasks through Trello/Jira - I'll come chat if I need more info.
The ways I like to receive feedback:
- Face-to-face by preference but feedback is always appreciated in any form.
- I love hearing feedback close to the event so that it's fresh.
Things I need:
- Air. Water. Tea and coffee (mostly decaf, has to be hot hot and not cool/cold). Food. Conversation. Creativity. Plants are okay too.
- Time: analysis work often isn't quick to do.
- A clear vision to work towards.
- A to do list: if it isn't on the list then it won't be done!
Things I struggle with:
- Office politics.
- Meetings with no direction/goal.
- Having to use multiple devices to get one job done.
- Daddy longlegs(crane fly) and moths
Things I love:
- Delivering stuff
- A long-term, multiplayer, collaborative approach to work.
- Spreadsheets, formulas, code and automation
- Equality and fairness.
- A good office culture and chances for serendipity, especially through hearing all of the cool things that my colleagues are up to (in and out of work).
- Recommendations of music, cafes/bars/restaurants, films, podcasts, shows, books and travel destinations (probably in that order!).
- Socialising with colleagues.
- A sense of place.
- Writing, especially interactive fiction and near-future sci-fi. Creativity in general, writing most of all.
Other things to know about me:
- Born Jonathan but my known name is Jono (not ever John or Jonny)
- Pronouns: he/him/his or they/them/theirs
- I try to cycle to meetings, which thankfully means I'm often faster than public transport.
- I'm pretty much me wherever you see me.
- I love to travel both small/local and big/adventurous. Cities looking for stickers or by a fire cooking outside under the stars. I try to travel as efficiently as I can, and am trying hard to travel as sustainably as I can. I really love the sleeper train to London and happily use video conferencing when it's available.
- I also try to live sustainably as well as trying to shop locally, I eat muesli and make bread, buying in 25kg bags.
- I'm trying to move away from paper notes so don't be offended if I'm typing notes during a meeting... but I also sometimes have to work during some meetings which I know is rude but can't always be helped.
- I like to see TV series through... not sure if that makes me a completionist/completist or just plain stubborn!
- I try to keep fit but it tends to come in bursts followed by days of just a daily walk.
- Despite being in a desk-job I'm always happy to do manual, physical work in the fresh air... and not too phased by a seemingly monotonous job, cold starts or wet weather (provided I'm well-attired in all the warm layers, jackets, buffs, thermals and muddy hiking boots!)
- I'm bound by the Civil Service Code not to say certain things online and find it exceedingly tough - my absence from certain political discussions is not a sign of disinterest!
- Adjectives: tall and keen (if I'm allowed just two!)