Here's a user manual of me - based off the many versions that are out there but especially the one shared by Cassie Robinson. I've got no expectations from this, I just thought that it was a nice exercise to do.
Conditions I like to work in
- I like a quiet environment and prefer interruptions to come in a batch. Open plan offices make concentration hard!
- I've pretty much always got headphones to tune out the background noise.
- I like having my own desk space, mostly so that I can connect laptops to bigger screens.
- Fresh air is always appreciated.
- Perfume, flowers (especially lilies) and other strong smells make for migraines!
- Desks with enough leg room underneath are essential.
The times/Hours I like to work
- Family is really important to me so to fit in childcare I'm mostly a 9-5 in the office kind of guy but I'll take something home if needed.
- I'm generally a morning person.
- I write best when the house is silent and everyone else is asleep - midnight to 2am, or 5am to 7am are great but I don't do this especially often.
- I don’t mind being contacted about work at any time but I will likely only respond to non-emergencies during week daytimes.
- My work calendar is open so anyone can see my availability - I don’t mind people booking things in my diary if I am free (please leave gaps for travel!)
- I don't mind meeting over lunch.
The best ways to communicate with me
- WhatsApp or Slack are good, in person is better.
- I rarely hear my phone ring but check it frequently.
- I keep on top of my emails and usually respond on the day or within a few days at the latest.
- I'm totally cool with finding out about work tasks through Trello/Jira - I'll come chat if I need more info.
The ways I like to receive feedback
- Face-to-face by preference but feedback is always appreciated in any form.
- I love hearing feedback close to the event so that it's fresh.
Things I need
- Air. Water. Tea (mostly decaff). Food. Conversation. Creativity. Plants are okay too.
- Time: analysis work often isn't quick to do.
- A clear vision to work to.
Things I struggle with
- Office politics.
- Meetings with no direction/goal.
- Having to use multiple devices to get one job done.
- Daddy longlegs(crane fly) and moths
Things I love
- Equality and fairness.
- Hearing all of the cool things that my colleagues are up to (in and out of work).
- Recommendations of music, cafes/bars/restaurants, films, podcasts, shows, books and travel destinations (probably in that order!).
- Socialising with colleagues.
- Writing, especially interactive fiction and near-future sci-fi. Creativity in general, writing most of all.
Other things to know about me
- I try to cycle to meetings, which thankfully means I'm often faster than public transport.
- I'm pretty much me wherever you see me.
- I love to travel but small/local and big/adventurous. I try to travel as efficiently as I can, and am trying hard to travel as sustainably as I can. I really love the sleeper train to London and happily use video conferencing when it's available.
- I'm trying to move away from paper notes so don't be offended if I'm typing notes during a meeting... but I also sometimes have to work during some meetings which I know is rude but can't always be helped.
- I try to keep fit but it tends to come in bursts followed by days of just a daily walk.
- Despite being in a desk-job I'm always happy to do manual, pysical work in the fresh air... and not too phased by cold or wet weather (provided I'm well-attired!)
- I'm bound by the Civil Service Code not to say certain things online and find it exceedingly tough - my absence from certain political discussions is not a sign of disinterest!